DOH-CALABARZON cautions public on using generators at home

CALAMBA CITY, Laguna, Nov 16 (PIA) --The Department of Health (DOH) - CALABARZON (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon) Regional Director Eduardo C. Janairo today strongly cautioned the public on the use of generators at home which can cause carbon monoxide poisoning which is very lethal and can cause death in minutes.

“Sa mga gumagamit ng mga portable generators, siguraduhin ninyong ito ay nakalagay sa labas ng inyong mga bahay. Huwag na huwag ninyo itong ilalagay sa loob dahil baka kayo ay malason dulot ng carbon monoxide poisoning,” he strongly warned.

“We have received reports of alleged carbon monoxide poisoning in the province of Rizal due to the use of generators which was placed indoors and we have already sent out our epidemiology team to investigate and verify the incident. For residents who owns generators including operators, make sure that they are placed safely outside and not in a confined area,” he reminded.

Portable back-up generators produce carbon monoxide gas which is colorless and odorless and kills without warning when inhaled at high levels.

“Be sure that your unit is placed at least 20 feet away from your house, away from your windows and doors to avoid the gas getting into your home.”

“Also, check your sets for any leaks on its exhaust system and make sure it is properly maintained before using it. Always read the manual and follow the safety precautions listed.”    

“For those using generators at home and are experiencing headache, dizziness, shortness of breath, confusion and vomiting, please proceed to the nearest health facility for consultation,”

He also warned on individuals not to use their vehicles as a portable aircon room. “Please do not sleep inside your vehicles as this is also dangerous to your health for it also emits carbon monoxide and you can be at risk of inhaling it,” he emphasized. (PIA-4A/DOH CALABARZON)

News Feed:
Latest News | Philippine Information Agency